Monday, October 20, 2014

Real starts with me

A couple months ago our pastor did a series on our church's core values...the basic truths that the leadership hopes will define us as followers of Christ. All five were great reminders, but the one that struck me the most was number 3: Real starts with me.

Core Values of MAC
I think the reason it impacted me so deeply was that I feel like so much of our culture isn't real at all...People are air-brushed in advertisements until they look literally plastic. Rooms in furniture catalogues are so perfectly staged you'd think someone with a severe case of OCD was in charge. Every where you look things are shiny. sparkly. ordered. new.

It's hard not to feel like you don't measure up. That you're not quite worth it - but that maybe you will be...IF.

If you buy that new sweater.

If you try a different makeup.

If you switch up your workout routine. (Or started one)

If you had a bigger house or nicer car or new boots or a bigger diamond or.........

These feelings often filter into our relationships. Especially as women, we feel we need to put our best foot forward. Have long flowing hair like all the other "real" women we see around us. Be pressed and preened and perfect because the real us isn't good enough.

As Christians, sometimes the emphasis seems even more pronounced. Because Christ has redeemed us, taken away the old and replaced it with the new, I think sometimes we feel we need to present that "new"ness to everyone we meet. To show that we can have it all together, because in Christ we have all we need to pursue the godly life. Which is totally true.

But is this how Christ really wants us to live? Pursuing an image of perfection?

I don't want this to ever be a place where someone stumbles across my writing and says "Wow. She's got it all together." I admit, I am a perfectionist and I adore control. But I think because this can be a weakness in me, I want to be real. To show the bumps and bruises, the dust and dirtiness of walking through this life.

I want you to know that you are not alone. I feel the same relentless pressure to conform and seek perfection and show it to the world just like you do. Sure the world was created perfect, but then sin entered and perfection disappeared. Someday it will return, and all the broken and dirty and lost will be restored. The Healer will come and make all things new, and beautiful and so perfect even Pinterest will be at a loss for words.

But until then, let's let down our walls, the shiny plastic bedazzled barriers we use to keep people at a distance. Let's let people into the inner rooms of our lives...where the real US lives. Let's seek to know the real in others. The messy. The imperfect. We can't really influence others unless it comes from a place of our own genuine chaotic REALNESS.

I have lots of ideas for posts that will - hopefully - be beautiful and inspiring. But I wanted to start off by showing you some of the REAL first. And if you want to mull over this topic of transparency more, I highly suggest heading over to Fourteen Hands High. Jess has a lot to say about living from a place of authenticity, and her writing style is just plain hilarious.

And so, without further ado... A little dose of reality.

Result of sweeping up my tiny dining room. It's moments like this I wish I had a dog. Or a hazmat team.

No mess is complete without the prerequisite lost lego man.

Because the middle of the carpet is a totally legit place to leave cleaning supplies...For the van.

Little Peach voicing her obvious heartbreak about taking a nap. Sorry girl. You are zonkered whether you believe me or not. How did I come upon this amazing wisdom? Because I was up with you from 12 to 2:30 last night for no other apparent reason than that you missed me and desired my company. Enjoy the nap. I would.

So there you have it. The next post will be just as real, but maybe a little lovelier. 

All is grace, 
Carie

5 comments:

  1. Love these lines: "Someday it will return, and all the broken and dirty and lost will be restored. The Healer will come and make all things new, and beautiful and so perfect even Pinterest will be at a loss for words." Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Josh. You're opinion means a lot to me.

      Delete
  2. This is hilarious and so wise! Sooo glad you took the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Carie! Very refreshing and witty, excited to see what comes next :)

    ReplyDelete