Saturday, January 24, 2015

Paleo Puffy Pancakes



I stumbled upon a recipe for puffy pancakes in one of Martha Stewart's magazines years ago. I love the idea of whipping up one batch of pancakes and being done with it instead of slaving over a griddle making batch after batch.

Puffy pancakes go by several names: dutch babies, oven pancakes... I prefer puffy pancakes cuz it's cuter. (And doesn't dutch babies sounds slightly cannibalistic? Just me?...*awkward silence*)

However, since our family has been slowly switching to a more paleo-based diet, I wanted to find a way to make the pancakes less "puffy" to our waistlines and something we could indulge in on a more regular basis, so I experimented until I came up with this recipe.

I love how satisfying this recipe is - my kids will easily ask for seconds and thirds. Leftovers last well in the fridge and can simply be reheated in the oven. Since this batter is made in a blender - pancakes have never been so easy to whip up! My favorite way to eat these is with drizzled raw honey, a sprinkle of cinnamon and sliced bananas. (My mouth is drooling just thinking about it!)

 I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! (And if you don't have some of the ingredients, no worries...this recipe is very forgiving. Just substitute the same amount of whatever traditional baking ingredients you have around)

Bon Apetit!

Paleo Puffy Pancakes

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 tbs clarified butter (also known as ghee), or coconut oil
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 2 tbs coconut flour
  • 1 tbs grass-fed gelatin
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 6 eggs
  • pinch of salt
TOPPING IDEAS:
  • Fresh fruit - bananas, peaches, berries, sautéed apples
  • Cinnamon
  • Powdered sugar
  • Maple syrup or honey
  • Fresh whipped cream
  • Lemon/lime juice
  • Jam

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Melt the butter in a 9x13 pan in the oven while mixing the ingredients.
  3. Crack eggs into blender.
  4. Add flours, gelatin, milk and salt
  5. Pulse until well incorporated.
  6. When butter is melted, remove from oven and pour batter into the pan. 
  7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set in middle and golden brown around the edges.
  8. Let cool several minutes before cutting. Top with desired ingredients and enjoy!
* If you've made traditional puffy pancakes before, you'll notice these do not get as "puffy". This is due to the heavier texture of the flours, and is to be expected.

Serves: 3-4
(If I'm making this for my family of five, I will make a 1 1/2 batch recipe...using 1.5 cups flour, 1.5 cups milk, 9 eggs...etc.)

Let me know what you think!

All is Grace,
Carie



No comments:

Post a Comment