Saturday, November 29, 2014

Simple Rustic Advent Wreath


For those of you who aren't super crafty - or are but don't have the time for lavish details - this is the perfect Advent wreath (or seasonal centerpiece) for you!

Lest you think I'm a genius, I got the idea for this centerpiece HERE. I love that it uses something I already had, although in the future, I will be keeping my eye out for a vintage bread pan at antique stores to use specifically for this purpose.

This literally took me about 15 minutes to make. The most time consuming part was wrapping the twine around the candles, which in retrospect I wish I had done prior to putting them in the foam.

Here's what you will need:



  • Bread pan or other small square tin (deep enough to hide a thick piece of florist's foam to support the candles)
  • A brick of florist's foam or styrofoam
  • A bag of moss (I bought a 200 cubic inch bag of it. WAY to much. I could have bought a 50 cubic inch and had plenty. At least I can reuse for holidays to come) You could also use fresh pine boughs trimmed from your tree or other greenery cut from around your house.
  • 4 tapered candles
  • Baker's twine, ribbon, rafia etc.




  1. Cut your foam to size if it doesn't fit perfectly in the pan. Leave space below rim for moss to fill the top.
  2. Wrap the candles with baker's twine and tie off.
  3. I just eyed the placement of the candles, but you could always measure for even placement. Push the candles firmly through the foam until you hit the bottom of the pan.
  4. Fill any spaces around the foam with moss to for stabilization.
  5. Fill around each candle with the moss until you have the desired effect.

That's it! We will light the first candle tomorrow evening during dinner, and each Sunday after that. But you could also start with the first Sunday of December and each Sunday following, with the fourth candle lit on Christmas Eve.

Beginning December 1st I will be posting each day's Advent reading, so check back for those! I'm so excited to start this special tradition with my family, lighting each candle as we anticipate the arrival of the Light of the world.

All is Grace,
Carie


The people who walked in darkness
    have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
    on them has light shone.

Isaiah 9:2




No comments:

Post a Comment