Thursday, December 11, 2014

Advent Day 11 - David - 1 Samuel 16:6-12


Sassy twirls and dances on tiny-tip-toes singing at the top of her lungs and admiring her moves in the reflection of the television screen, completely captivated by what she sees there. 

Does it begin so young? I wonder. This early captivation with reflections, with the swirling twirling beauty of the external. The sparkle, the shine - it captivates us young. The inner parts of our heart that long for eternal beauty, but mistakingly settle for concrete mirages instead. 

These things, these mirages and titles? Here today and gone tomorrow...

The custom home. The newest phone. The perfect hair. The shiny toys. The bright red to-go coffee cup. The vacations, and hobby pursuits and fancy jobs and trendy clothes and Pinterest-worthy crafts and on and on until we are blinded to what is real. What lasts.

I am so guilty of it. This snap judgment of whether something is worth my time - whether it's worthy. And shamefully this guilt extends to people. As quick as my eyes can look, my mind judges:

cute
frumpy
friendly
old
tired
grouchy
lazy
beautiful
put together
trashy
stuck up
adorable
handsome

And yet, "for all our skin, people are really souls." God doesn't judge as we do. His eyes pierce deeper to the heart of the matter, the soul of the person. O, that I would see others through His eyes! That the Great Surgeon would fix not just my heart, but these eyes that see but never truly.

It's strange how it affects us -- From housekeeping to soul-keeping: if it's mostly the surfaces that absorb us, then we're mostly superficial. When my priorities aren't the things seen - when my priorities are rather all things unseen - it's only then that my life begins to have substance and weight.  - Ann Voskamp, The Greatest Gift

Lord, I repent of my sinful preoccupation with the shiny exterior of things - and people. The world is too dear to my heart and I have missed your silent presence, blinded by my judgements. Open my eyes that I may see you and the evidence of you, in and around me - and especially in others. For your glory. Amen  
All is grace,
Carie

1 Samuel 16:6-12

The Message (MSG)

When they arrived, Samuel took one look at Eliab and thought, “Here he is! God’s anointed!”
But God told Samuel, “Looks aren’t everything. Don’t be impressed with his looks and stature. I’ve already eliminated him. God judges persons differently than humans do. Men and women look at the face; God looks into the heart.”
Jesse then called up Abinadab and presented him to Samuel. Samuel said, “This man isn’t God’s choice either.”
Next Jesse presented Shammah. Samuel said, “No, this man isn’t either.”
10 Jesse presented his seven sons to Samuel. Samuel was blunt with Jesse, “God hasn’t chosen any of these.”
11 Then he asked Jesse, “Is this it? Are there no more sons?”
“Well, yes, there’s the runt. But he’s out tending the sheep.”
Samuel ordered Jesse, “Go get him. We’re not moving from this spot until he’s here.”
12 Jesse sent for him. He was brought in, the very picture of health—bright-eyed, good-looking.
God said, “Up on your feet! Anoint him! This is the one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment